Saturday, December 15, 2012

Building My Bike: #2 The Plan

Oh my goodness, I am learning so much about bikes and I haven't even started yet. Headsets and fork rake and steerers and bottom bracket cable guides and anti-seize compound. Wow.

So, what's the plan? Here is what I need to tackle, in (planned) order:

  1. Fork and Headset
  2. Stem & Handlebar
  3. Bottom bracket
  4. Crankset & pedals
  5. Cassette & wheels
  6. Brakes
  7. Derailleurs
  8. Chain
  9. Shifters
  10. Front shifter cable
  11. Front brake cable
  12. Rear shifter cable
  13. Rear brake cable
  14. Saddle
  15. Bar tape

I don't have all the tools or parts yet. Here is my shopping list:

  • Fork
  • Wheels
  • Bottom bracket tool
  • Lube
  • Anti-seize compound
  • Cassette Lockring Tool
  • Need-nosed pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Electrical tape
  • Chain whip
  • Spacers?
  • Bottom bracket cable guide

There are three things that I won't have the tools for. One is installing the headset cups. Next is facing the head tube. The last is cutting the steerer tube (not complicated but I'm not going to buy a saw just for that).

I wish I could get everything at once and attack the job in a weekend but, alas, I can't. On the other hand, I'll have time to blog about each phase. :-)

No comments: