Saturday, January 24, 2009

Showers Pass (Overhead)

When I went to bed last night, the weather forecast was for clouds but no rain. Saturday's forecast had been like that for a few days. When I woke up to a drizzly morning, the forecast for the day was now 40% chance of rain. No matter as it gave me a chance to try out my Showers Pass Double Century Jacket which, up to now, had just been keeping me warm on cold mornings.


It was just a short, ten-mile ride and the jacket came through just as advertised but while my upper body stayed dry and warm, the rest of me was pretty wet. It only mattered on my feet. However, this is Los Angeles and it doesn't get so cold when it rains.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to ride in the rain!

Interesting thing happened. On Glenoaks passing the golf course there is a hill that leads up to a stoplight at Osborne. That hill used to wipe me out when I reached the top and I'd have to take a break before making a right at the light because it keeps going up. This time I was taking it easy up the hill and made the right and kept going. However, because of the rain the right shoulder was a torrent of water so I couldn't ride there. This particular stretch of road doesn't even have much of a shoulder plus the drivers around there tend to be jerks so I decided to try and speed through it. To my surprise, I was able to. This tells me two things. One, the hill work is paying off. Two, I need to go faster during my hill workouts because I now know I have it in me.

No comments: