Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From a Lake Swim to a River Ride

Today I had my appointment at a sports medicine clinic for my shoulder. We started off with X-Rays but didn't see anything bad. Apparently I had a pretty good right shoulder injury "a long time ago" but the only one I can remember happened to my left shoulder. At least I think it was my left shoulder. Hmm. Anyway, I am going to do some physical therapy for my shoulders (one block from work--sweet!) and have a follow-up appointment in five weeks. The doctor also recommended that I check out Total Immersion to help me to change my stroke so it doesn't put so much stress on my shoulders. DVD is on the way.

So, with the rest I need to give my shoulders and the change to my stroke, I have decided to skip my planned (but not signed up for) June triathlon and, instead, do the Los Angeles River Ride for either 70 or 100 miles. The nice thing is that I will get to do it with a friend(s), which is a welcome change to my (always) solo rides.

Since I can't swim twice a week, I might as well get in two hill rides a week, right? This morning's was great! I left on time, for a change, so I was able to get in four laps instead of the usual three. Felt really strong, too. I do need to turn the cadence alarm back on, though, because I find myself slacking when I still have the energy to go faster.

My Blackburn Flea front light, the one that was replaced just a few weeks ago, is already showing signs of going bad. What the heck is up with these lights? The rear light is awesome. The front lights, though, have sucked. I am going to call the Blackburn folks tomorrow and see what's going on. I want a working light but I also don't want to lose another two weeks of hill workouts.

No comments: